Home Top Big News In show of force to Trump, Venezuela launches military drills

In show of force to Trump, Venezuela launches military drills

by Ark News
0 comment

Venezuela has launched three days of military exercises and put on display its Russian-built fighter jets in a show of force aimed at the US amid rising tensions over Washington’s deployment of US warships to the Caribbean.

More than 2,500 soldiers have been mobilized on Venezuela’s Caribbean island of La Orchila for the exercises, dubbed “Sovereign Caribbean 200,” that will include air, sea and land maneuvers.

Twelve naval ships of various classes and types, 22 aircraft and about 20 boats will take part, Venezuelan Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino said on the state-run channel VTV.

His comments accompanied a broadcast showing amphibious craft and troops landing on a beach as warships sailed off the island and jets flew over the sea.Separately, Venezuela has also been showcasing many of its Russian-made fighter jets equipped with anti-ship missiles.

Padrino described the drills, which began Wednesday, as part of Venezuela’s response to the deployment of the US warships to the region.

Washington insists those ships – which include three Arleigh Burke-class destroyers, the cruiser Lake Erie, the amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima, and a nuclear-powered submarine – are on a mission to combat drug trafficking, but Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro has claimed the deployment is aimed at regime change.

The US has previously accused Maduro of involvement in drug trafficking and has put a $50 million bounty on his head.The exercises were launched a day after US President Donald Trump said the US had struck a total of three boats in the Caribbean, claiming they were transporting drugs from Venezuela.

The US said it struck the first boat – allegedly tied to the Venezuelan gang Tren de Aragua – on September 2, killing 11 people. On Monday, Trump announced a second strike against alleged “narcoterrorists,” which the administration said killed three people.

Then on Tuesday, Trump told reporters, “We knocked off three boats, actually, not two. But you saw two.”

Source: Here

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Our Company

We are not just a news portal but a think tank that works exclusively in International relations, Diplomacy and Strategy

Latest News

Copywrite @ 2023 Arknews All Right Reserved. Powered By: PrabidhiLabs